So I have been thinking about it and I think that I have found a new format for the comics reviews.

As you know the old review format was based on giving the facts about the book; title, contributors, publisher, issue #, year, and page count. Then I moved into the age rating and grading of the story and art which was totally subjective. Well, maybe the age rating wasn't so subjective because I did base it on facts like nudity, violence, gore, drug use and other adult themes.

After that I would get into a quick synopses of the story. I would then actually review the writing and then review the artwork. Finally I would give the overall book a combined grade based on the average grade between the story and the art.

So what's going to change?

First... I'm going to get rid of the grading system. As an artist, and one that struggled with school grading systems I don't find it fair to assign a letter grade on art especially since the appreciation of art is so objective. I mean come on, it's a matter of opinion whether someone likes a story or likes a particular drawing/coloring style.

So instead of a letter grade I'm going to use a "Yeah!" or "Meh..." indicator for whether I liked a book or not.

Second... There will be no more age rating. I won't pretend I am MPRA any longer. I will continue to provide the content warnings like nudity, language, etc because there is value in that. But I won't assign a subjective age rating to the book as that is a matter of opinion.

Third... To further stop opinion from seeping into the reviews, I will stop nitpicking the things that are matter of opinion and focus on the facts of the books and art. Such as; if they use a dark red text on a black background I might state that it was hard to read it because of this. But I won't complain about the choice to use one word over another, or a character pose over another as those are just a matter of opinion.

Lastly... I won't use as many images. I will use the cover as an image and maybe a page that truly stands out. If there isn't a page where the art truly stands out, there won't be a second image.

So there it is folks. The new review format coming soon to a review near you.

Stay tuned... coming soon is a review of Pretty Deadly Vol 1, Deadly Class Vol 1 and Wonder Woman Vol 1. And following will be more single issues.

One more thing... There won't be any more "Until next time..." quotes.  





0 comments:

Post a Comment