Title: Wonder Woman
Contributors: Brian Azzarello
Cliff Chiang
Tony Akins
Publisher: DC
Issue #: Vol 1
Year: 2014
Content: Sexuality, Violence










Wonder Woman Vol. 1 defines Diana Prince's origins a little different than I recall hearing in the past. While holding true to her coming from Paradise Island, a place without men, therefore without men the island is paradise, it also exposes her as having an origin in Greek mythology. It is an interesting take on the Wonder Woman mythos.

I don't generally read superhero books, but my wife picked this up for herself and of course I needed to give it a read. The reason I don't typically read superhero books is mainly because they tend to be far too immature in story, art, plot and content; speaking only as a generalization of the genre. I know that there are the MAX books from Marvel and books like The Watchmen. But when I am talking superhero books, I am talking Batman, Green Lantern, Spider-man, Captain America; you know, the titles that suffered through and still seem to be "stuck in the suck" that is the censorship program known as the Comic Book Authority.

I found the story in Wonder Woman to be engaging actually, still a little immature in the plot for my ongoing taste, but the book did redefine my perception of who Wonder Woman is. This book did to Wonder Woman for me, what Geoff Johns did to Aquaman during his New 52 run.

The artwork was good and did really well in helping the story really pop off the page. This is definitely worth a look at.

This book was a complete Yeah! for me, as it was well worth the price of admission. I don't know if I will add it to my pull list, because superheros aren't typically my thing, but this volume was enjoyable as a stand alone book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment