Title: Savage Hulk
Contributors: Alan Davis
Mark Farmer
Publisher: Image Comics
Issue #: 3
Year: 2014
Pages: 32 Pages
Age Rating: 18+ (Violence, Lewd Adult Themes)
Story Grade: F
Art Grade: B






In a chapter of the Savage Hulk that takes the demeaning over-sexualization of women in comics to a new level, I found this book to be utterly disappointing for that fact alone. Add to the that, the fact that we are once again revisiting the origin of Hulk, even if the origin refresher has a specific purpose in the plot of the story. With the over-sexualization of Jean Gray, and the fact that the story has a very broken pace, this is an epic fail on writer Alan Davis' part.

So let me get to the demeaning sexualization of Jean Gray. Sure, she becomes scantily clad, but that isn't the issue. The main premise of this book is that Jean has received all of Hulk's Gamma-Based powers. And the power has gone to her head. As a result, she modifies her clothes to be admittedly sexier, she has mind control over the other mutants and her first order of business to control these mutants to make lewd sexual comments towards her.

And here is where the problem lies. Women don't typically solicit that type of behavior, for the most part. Sure they like a compliment every now and then, but they do not invite lewd innuendos and outright sexual advances? This is yet another example of why men get shit thrown at them for their writing of women characters. It is a stereotype that proves time again to be true; Men seem to think that deep down inside, women love being reduced to nothing more than sexual objects.

My rant could go on, but I think I have done enough at this point. I am utterly disappointed in this book and therefore I grade it a F, no, I will invent a new grade, an F-. I don't care if the the art scored a solid B. The story is offensive and disrespectful not only to women, but to the real men of this world.

Until next time... keep in mind that I am not the prude this review paints me to be.


0 comments:

Post a Comment