Title: Night of the Living Deadpool
Contributors: Cullen Bunn
Ramon Rosanas
Publisher: Marvel
Issue #: 1-4
Year: 2014
Pages: 32 Pages
Age Rating: 13+ (Violence, Mature Themes, Gore)
Story Grade: B
Art Grade: B







This was my first ever Deadpool comic. I had heard too many people say how awful and overrated Deadpool was, so I had steered clear until I saw this cover. This particular comic struck me as something that might interest me. Romero is the undisputed king of Zombies, so a comic that would pay homage to him on the cover was worth a look.

I wasn't disappointed in this four part mini-series.

The story revolves around Deadpool waking up from a food coma to find the zombie apocalypse has begun and that he might be the only survivor... or is he? This difference between these zombies and Romero's zombies is that in Deadpool's world, the zombie's can talk, are apologetic for what they are about to do, warn you to run away and ask to be put of their misery. This is particularly baffling to Deadpool and intriguing to me.

It makes for a nice to twist to the zombie genre.

The artwork is done in a nice black and white style, a.k.a Romero homage, where only Deadpool is in color; known as selective color. This was first popularly used in the film Schindler's List. It is a style generally used to draw the viewers attention to a particular to a certain element in a scene to convey a special message. In the world of photography is usually laughed at these days as an overused and wrongly used technique.

In the case of this book, I think it is used just to pay homage to Romero while giving some style to the book. I like the way it looks. It keeps the book less gory, yet because Deadpool is based in the color red, keeps the color of blood ever present.

On a personal note, Deadpool is a fun character. I can see where people might feel that he is over-exposed as he does seem to be everywhere, but from what I have read, a few books now, he does seem to be a fun character to be involved with.

Issue #2 picks up right where Issue #1 left off, both in storyline and in the humor and the deadpan timing. I am enjoying this series immensely.

This book carries Deadpool and company out of the city, while paying homage to several zombie super-powers including Dawn, Day and Night of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, Zombieland and even Walking Dead and in two page montage of panels. How is that for paying some respect to the genre.

The story hits a little plot issue for me when the kids wander off on their own. In a world full of zombies and the horrors that comes with that type of world, what kid is going to be stupid enough to wander off alone in the middle of the night? None that I know of. But outside of that little character flaw in the story, it's yet another fun ride through a world plagued with zombies and Deadpool kicking ass and cracking wise.

As far as the artwork goes, I think the art got a little better in this book compared to the first; and I really enjoyed the art in the first. I appreciated the stylization more in this book more than the first, although I had no complaints really about the first.

The art style remains true to the first book... black and white with Deadpool the only defining color element. It is fun for the time being, but I truly hope that other books don't catch the fever and decide to follow suit thinking it's all that and saturate the market with it... otherwise the style will definitely lose its impact and that cool factor it currently has.

All in all the series is a lot of fun. I graded the series a solid B. The story is fun and entertaining. The art is wonderfully crafted and enjoyable. If you like Deadpool, zombies or anything in between, chances are you may enjoy this series.

Until next time... Happy brain munching.

0 comments:

Post a Comment