Title: Wolverine: Get Mystique
Contributors: Jason Aaron
Art Garney
Publisher: Marvel
Issue #: TPB
Year: 2008
Pages: 96 Pages
Age Rating: 13+ (Language, Violence, Gore, Adult Themes)
Story Grade: A
Art Grade: A






I openly admit to not knowing the complete backstory to every comic book character ever created, which part of the reason I love comics so much to this day. I have my favorite characters and even with those characters I learn something new every year, which keeps me coming back for more. I mean if I knew everything, I would lose interest and move on to something else and I love my love for comics, so honestly, I don't want to know everything about any character. And there is little that I know about Mystique.

So this Wolverine/Mystique TPB caught my attention, mainly because the cover looked pretty hot... like maybe Mystique and Wolverine got their hookup on. I picked it up and devoured it with a ravenous appetite. I was not disappointed by the book in any way.

The story revolves around Mystique on the run after betraying the X-Men; <sarc>shock</sarc>. If that came across as snarky, I guess it is because I would want to know why any of the X-Men would trust Mystique after so many betrayals in the past. But I digress... So Cyclops sends Wolverine out into the world to hunt Mystique down, literally with his nose and that killer sense of smell, to kill her once and for all. In the process you get glimpses of Wolverine and Mystique's backstory which has definite moments of steamy undertones, but definite mutual betrayal by both of them. You almost feel Mystique's justification for her repeated betrayals... almost.

The story is well written, well pieced together considering the flashbacks, as it seems these two have numerous trysts together that have gone on across some period of time, and the whole arc comes together to form an entertaining story for any fan or newcomer to the franchise.

The artwork is top-notch. Clean lines, grit and grime, great action sequences, wonderful details... everything a comic book being published today should have and more.

 I graded this book a solid A. The story is solid, entertaining from start to finish and the artwork is everything a reader could want from a book.

Until next time... happy schnicking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment