Title: Incredible Hulk
Contributors: Stan Lee
Jack Kirby
Paul Reinman
Publisher: Marvel
Issue #: 1 (reprint)
Year: 1962 (2003)
Pages: 36 Pages
Age Rating: 8+ (Violence)
Story Grade: C
Art Grade: C




I now completely understand the phrase, "Be careful what you wish for." So with that said, please read this review as one part review, one part essay.

For years I have wanted to own and read Issue #1 of The Incredible Hulk. Never before did I think I could afford it, but recently I learned about this concept of "reprints". Well I finally found one at an antique store and I scooped it up for a whole $3. I now own a reprint of what I considered the most important book for the most important literary character in my reading life. Did I mention I was a fan of the Hulk?

The story goes like this:

Banner tries to save this kid who somehow drives on to a top secret bomb range, on the day of a test of a top secret test of top secret gamma bomb. The bomb explodes just as Banner tosses the boy into a safety trench. Banner gets exposed to the Gamma rays, surviving the massive explosion at ground zero, and as a result transforms into the hulk, but only at night. As the story progresses the there is a Russian spy in Banner's lab who has been trying to steal Banner's Gamma Bomb secrets. The Hulk takes a trip to Russia courtesy of his first enemy, The Gargoyle, a russian scientist angry about his radiation deformed body who landed a rocket plane launched from Russia onto U.S. soil, kidnapped Hulk and the young boy and rocketed them back to Russia where, Banner fixes the Gargoyle's radiation caused condition with nothing more than more radiation.

So as you can, there are so many plot holes that you could build the entire Top Secret Gamma base in them. But in the time that the story was written, it was likely quite fascinating.

The artwork, and I am likely to get some negative remarks here for dissing on King Kirby, was okay. It had moments of awesome genius, but those awesome panels were far and few between the numerous panels of hohum.

Now I liken this experience to watching Lon Chaney Jr.'s Wolfman (1941) immediately after watching Kate Beckinsale's Underworld (2003). While in its time, Wolfman was likely the scariest most cutting edge, seat of your pants thriller you could see, it pales when put against the CGI and action standards we have become accustomed to in today's movies.

In much of the same way, my experience with the Hulk #1, was a disappointment. Comic writers and artists have evolved over the years. Their styles have grown, advanced and my tastes have definitely evolved with them.  

I don't know what I expected per-se, but from all of the hype around Kirby's art and Lee's writing, I was definitely expecting something more than I got. Please don't get me wrong. I am happy to own my copy of Hulk #1, reprint or not, and am not looking to part company with it. But, there are certain things that are glaringly wrong with the book that need to be addressed.

Why was the top secret base not so secret, a.k.a Area 51 style security?

How did a kid drive a car on to the bomb range that theoretically contained the world's most powerful weapon and nobody but Banner noticed until the very last minute.

Who in their right mind, kid or not would want to drive out on to a nuclear bomb range before, during or after a bomb test?

How does a Russian spy, at the height of the cold war, get that close to a protected top secret project on a top secret base without being detected until after it was too late?

Why did Banner only change into the Hulk at night at first?

Why is the daughter of a general allowed into top secret labs, facilities, testing facilities or even on a top secret base in the first place? How does she have clearance to be there herself?

How does a Russian rocket plane land on U.S. soil?

How does a Rocket plane have enough fuel to fly from Russia to New Mexico and back without refueling?

How does radiation cure a radiation caused disease?

The list goes on, but you see my point... I hope.

I know this may sound crass, and may be a statement sacrilege to you purists out there, but personally would love to see this origin book rewritten, updated with today's writers and artists on two conditions.

1. Please, dear god... keep the Gamma Bomb... no lab accident... and
2. Keep the Hulk Gray.

In this re-write the holes in the plot would be fixed. The artwork could be brought up to date. The origin could be true to the intent of Stan and Jack's intent while updating the writing style, storytelling and artwork.

I am grateful for the book's existence and appreciate the story for what it is and the groundwork it laid, but I also understand why the series was cancelled for Spider-Man a few issues later.

Until next time... Happy Smashing.


0 comments:

Post a Comment